What is insurance claims assistance and why is it beneficial to you?
In our experience, many homeowners have questions about the insurance claims process. This process includes filing a claim, to understanding the payment process and getting supplements approved.
After guiding homeowners step by step through hundreds of insurance claims, we’ve got a pretty good handle on how the insurance claims process works.
The good news for you is we’ll be happy to help you with no extra cost.
As your roofing contractor, we want what’s best for both of us, which starts with making sure the paperwork is processed correctly.
Unlike other companies, we’ve never had to use a public adjuster or get a lawyer involved. Some roofing companies push for this sort of action, but we believe in be honest and fair throughout the process.
Here is a step by step guide to the insurance claims process.
- Roof Inspection – C.W. Roofing & Construction inspects the roof to verify the hail damage
- File a claim – after you file a claim with your insurance company, your claim will be assigned to an insurance adjuster. The insurance adjuster will call you with a date and time to inspect your property. We will represent you at the adjustment to make sure it is performed correctly. (Not all insurance adjusters will look for appropriate damages. We can give you plenty of examples.)
- Insurance Adjustment – The insurance adjuster will inspect the property for damage. Typically once the damage has been identified, the adjuster will recommend a full replacement of the roof.
- Estimate and 1st Check – The insurance company will send their estimate of damages along with a payment in the form or a check. This first payment is called Actual Cash Value.
Note: Contractors and Insurance Companies use a program called Xactimate to estimate the damages for you property. Xactimate gives us the pricing for items in a given area and we negotiate with the insurance company on the scope of damages. Usually there are items unaccounted for, which we take pictures of and send in what is called a supplemental estimate.
- Supplemental Estimate – This is where we send in an estimate for any items the adjuster missed. Your insurance company will receive this, review it and will typically send you an updated estimate and a supplemental check. Your insurance company has the right to re-inspect any damages before paying for them. Supplements are typically approved quickly to move the process along. (We only send in for legitimate items, but not all roofing companies operate in the same manner)
- Replace the roof and other damaged items – No matter what type of damage has occured to your property, we will help general contract all phases of the job out for your so you don’t have to worry about finding contractors.
- We send in the final invoice to the insurance company stating the work has been complete. They will review this and then send out the Recoverable Depreciation.
- 2nd Check – Final Payment from the insurance company is sent to you. We collect the final payment and issue you warranties.
There are other circumstances that add steps to the process. These might include things like sending your check off to be endorsed by the mortgage company or calling for a final inspection before the mortgage company releases the final check.