Can You Walk On A Metal Roof Without Causing Damage?
Yes and No. Most roofing companies claim that metal roofs are walkable. This is not true for every metal roof. If there is an air-gap between the decking and the metal panel, any considerable amount of weight will dent the panel.
This damage is almost unavoidable, especially when HVAC technicians and landscapers are walking on the roof to fix vents or blow off the leaves. This air-gap is present in metal shake, metal shingle and metal tile roofs.
Which Metal Roofs Are Walkable?
- Sheet Metal Roofs (Standing Seam) lay flat on the roof deck and while very slippery, are walkable.
- Corrugated Steel roofs are applied directly to the roof deck and have low valleys that are walkable.
- Metal Tile Roofs have low spots close to the decking, which help for walkability, but any misstep and the raised tile portion will dent.
How are metal shingle and shake roofs made walkable?
- Metal Shake and Metal Shingle roofs can be made walkable by inserting a metal foam backer. Classic Metal Roofing Systems offers foam inserts for every roof in their product line. Not only does this foam insert support the metal panel to increase its rigidity, it also insulates the panel by adding an R-5 insulation value. This insulation helps keep heat from entering into the attic, which improves energy efficiency.
Not All Brands Offer a Foam Insert
- Roofing systems installed on 2×2 battens do not offer a foam insert.
- Not all metal shake or metal shingle roofs offer foam either. We don’t work with every brand, but make sure your roof is installed with foam. If it isn’t, you can expect there to be damage when the roof is walked on. No matter what your roofing company told you, that’s the truth.
As you can see, the foam makes a huge difference in walkability and durability. The best metal roofing system on the market is a Classic Metal Roof with ThermoBond Paint.